The North Vancouver Island sub-region is rich in cultural and natural beauty that can be seen in the wildlife, trees and waters of the area. As First Nations traditional territory, this area is equally rich in First Nations culture and heritage. Protecting this area preserves a record of the past for future generations.
Archaeological features can be found throughout this landscape. From 2019-2020, the NVI Project Team, along with staff from the BC Archaeology Branch; BC Parks; Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations and Rural Development; and the Ministry of Indigenous Relations and Reconciliation (MIRR) worked together on an Archaeology and Cultural Heritage Pilot Project. The team advanced components related to communications, archaeology surveys, and joint patrols to achieve pilot goals of increasing protection and increasing the role of Guardians in management and protection of cultural sites.
Through the pilot project, we produced some educational materials that provide information and guidance for visitors and landowners about archaeological and cultural sites.
- Archaeological Sites in North Vancouver Island (PDF)
- Cultural and Archaeological Sites: Shell Middens (PDF)
- Respectful Behaviour (PDF)
- Protected Heritage Sites: Information for Landowners (PDF)
Zip Files of Brochures and Information Sheets in various formats for download
- Offset Printing (highest resolution, crop marks)
- In-house Printing for inkjet or laser printers (high resolution, no crop marks)
- Web (low resolution)
First Nations Websites
- Nanwakolas Council
- Mamalilikulla First Nation
- Tlowitsis Nation
- Da’naxda’xw Awaetlala First Nation
- Wei Wai Kum First Nation
- K’ómoks First Nation
BC Archaeology Branch
- Website: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/industry/natural-resource-use/archaeology
- Brochure: Planning to Develop or Renovate Your Property?
Other relevant information for visitors
- BC Marine Trails: Code of Conduct
- Leave No Trace: 7 Principles
- Georgia Strait Alliance: Green Boating Guide
- Be Whale Wise – brochure (PDF)
- Marine Research and Education Society: See A Blow, Go Slow